RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Drawing

Reply to topic    Waeome: The Fortress of Loo Forum Index » Creativity View previous topic
View next topic

Drawing
Erunanton

Post Drawing Reply with quote
I took a Drawing I class this summer, and I'm planning to take Life Drawing I this fall in addition to my engineering classes. This was my first experience with drawing.

Here are some samples of what I did:

We started off with gestural sketches so we could get a feel for drawing. That vase was upside down for some reason. I think I have a pretty good eye.

I think I captured the saucer pretty well. This is one of the few drawings where I felt I positioned the objects poorly; the bottle is too high and got cut off.

A contour sketch so we could learn about the three dimensionality of objects. I have a good sense of depth, so it wasn't too difficult.

I full composite sketch, lines only. Even without shading, I think I did a decent job of suggesting the relative position of the objects. I'm particularly proud of the saucers and cups on the right side.

This didn't turn out too well. So far I've only worked with graphite, and I found it hard to get the colored pencil to go really dark for proper contrast.

This is by far a superior piece. Charcoal goes very dark, very easily. To the left of the clay pot at the top is a brown bottle, hence the distortion in the cloth. I think I did really well with cloth in general here, but I also like the reflectiveness of the fruit on the right, and how substantial the bottle in the front feels. It's dark, it's reflective, it's translucent, it casts a shadow and has a reflection in the table, all in all it's a great object.

Black and white colored pencil on gray paper. I was concentrating on my mug in the mirror, thus the serious look. My hair looks metallic I think. Unfortunately, all the students needed light, so we had to make do with horrible fluorescent lighting throughout the room. I had a row on each side of my face, which created strange reflections on both sides. You can see them in my eyes. I think the ears a very well-defined.

Me and my self-portrait for comparison. I'm actually quite affable. Strangely, I think my self-portrait looks more like me than this photograph, but I always think I look funny in photos. I only ever see myself in the bathroom mirror.

Last edited by Erunanton on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 am View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern311

Post Reply with quote
Pretty impressive - particularly the one before the portrait. I've always wished that my drawing/painting skills were of a higher caliber - I just can't get past the way I drew in middle school.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:50 am View user's profile Send private message
Erunanton

Post Reply with quote
I've done some sketches, I'm going to try and update again soon. What I'm really trying to do is be able to draw from memory rather than from life, but that is exceedingly difficult. Equally difficult I think is drawing purely from the imagination. Until I can develop these skills, I won't be able to draw idly, or even create any kind of the fiction I'm interested in.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:15 am View user's profile Send private message
Sweet Garbonzo

Post Reply with quote
How did I miss this thread?

You have a very nice progression from beginning to end. I was never very good at drawing because I'm terrible at perceiving depth.

You also look totally cute in that photo.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Ye Ole Smithy

Post Reply with quote
Assuming that this is a thread for general drawing and not just those by Erunanton, I would like to post the only presentable work I have completed within the last year:

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pp6QEURwaWyXt7p1fTSVrJXoCf6t6zyO0Yocml-MOe3qrClg76V18UCFhCmOtM8QEYXVjrL-1pw_ahVJQ9n55-w/New%20type%20pics!!

Qua men can't ago , Filiolus fare haud melior

Res ero melior ut everyone's absentis.
Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
patriciacross

Post Reply with quote
You are a very talented person! Once I've started painting too, but abandoned this hobby. The main thing is to continue painting regardless of anything and you will become the most famous artist! Exclamation
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Waeome: The Fortress of Loo Forum Index » Creativity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: